When it comes to selling your own product online, there are several ways you can do it. The most successful online entrepreneurs, however, always follow a system, and that system is similar across the board. In my own ventures of creating online businesses, what I have found is that the product is not what makes the difference in success. The difference between success and failure when it comes to selling online is all in your approach. As I have gone through what works and what doesn’t, I want to share with you the approach I have learned to make a successful online business no matter what product I am selling. Consider this 3-step approach for your own online business.
1. Identify Your Market
Like I already stated, the product you choose to sell doesn’t determine your success. As long as you choose a product that you are personally passionate about, or even just mildly interested in, it is all in the selling that will set you apart. If you know that you want to create an online business, but you don’t know how to choose a product, consider browsing this article I wrote.
The first step to really making your first sales online will be to identify the people who will be interested in your product. In marketing terms, you have heard it as identifying your market. What this really means to identify who you want to sell to is a matter of answering these questions:
- What type of person wants/would want what I am selling?
- Who is online looking for what I am selling?
- What demographics will be interested in my product (age, gender, race, location)?
- What kind of income level would my potential customers need to make to be interested in my product?
- What types of values/interests/behaviors/lifestyles do these potential customers have?
Before you keep reading, take a second to think about these questions and write down answers to each of them… Finished? Good! These are a few of the basic questions you can ask yourself about people who may express interest in what you are selling. This is SUPER important because if you try to target an audience who isn’t interested in your product, you won’t make as many sales. If you get at the heart of your potential customer, however, and if they are already searching for your product or something similar, then you have a much better chance of actually selling to them.
2. Get All The Right Tools and Training
A lot of people get really last after they choose a topic and identify their target audience. So lost, in fact, that many people end their online selling journey there. This doesn’t have to be the case with you! The reason people get lost is because they don’t know what tools they need or that they can receive explicit training specifically on how to make money online. Below is a detailed list of the tools you are going to need and the most comprehensive training you can receive:
- Website: Your website is your money-maker when it comes to selling online. No matter the platform you choose to sell your product (Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, Shopify), you want a website of your own.
- Online Support Community: You want to join a community of like-minded people who can mentor you and help you along your process. My number one recommendation is Wealthy Affiliate. This group is over 30,000 people just like you have experienced success selling online, and they are waiting to help you succeed in your business. You can see a review that I left Wealthy Affiliate here and can even sign up for free to start!
- SEO, PPC, Facebook Ads, and Other Internet Marketing Training: You will need to be trained on all of this to be successful, including how to convert your website visitors into real paying customers and much more. Click here to get access to some amazing training materials and videos that will help in this process.
3. Advertise Your Website
The whole key of online marketing is to drive as many interested people as possible to your site so they can see your product, desire it in their heart of hearts, and then buy it from you. After you have your arsenal of tools and training, it is time to put it all to use. Go out there, advertise your website, get traffic to flow, and convert them into sales. After a while, the visitors start coming of their own volition, but the more you put into your advertisements (which can be free, mind you, such as with SEO), the more people will be able to find your site.
Your Online Journey Starts Now
Following this simple 3-step process will lead you to success no matter what type of product you are selling. Granted, this whole process is not an overnight, get-rich-quick type of thing, but with steady dedication and patience, you can grow your online business into a very lucrative opportunity. Get started today and let the passive income start rolling into your pockets!